Summertime is in full swing and family vacation planning has begun. When the kids are out of school, families look forward to taking time away from work and home life by deciding on where to go on vacation. This is also when families need to consider how to protect their homes while away.
Nothing ruins a vacation faster than the constant worry of something bad happening to your home. Taking preventative measures to protect your home while you are away on vacation can offer peace of mind so that you can relax and enjoy your vacation.
Ways to Protect Your Home While on Vacation
- Make it seem like someone is home. Have a neighbor pick up the mail, take the garbage in and out, and even park their car in your driveway to give the illusion that someone is home.
- Lock all windows and doors. About thirty percent of all home break-ins in the U.S. are through an open door or window. So, it is important to make sure all windows and doors are securely locked before leaving the house.
- Keep a low profile on social media. As tempting as it is to post pictures and updates of your vacation as it is happening, it is wiser to wait until you have returned home. This decreases the risk of letting burglars know that you are not home.
- Install a home monitoring system. There are so many home monitoring system options available to choose from. Some systems even allow you to view live home videos from your phone which allows you to see what is happening at any time of the day or night while away.
- Find a house sitter. Having a friend or relative stay at your home will give you peace of mind knowing that your home is being attended to by someone you trust. It would also be wise to let your neighbors know so that there is no confusion.
- Leave a few lights on. If you cannot get someone to house sit for you, then consider leaving a few lights on so that it looks like someone is home.
- Install a motion-activated floodlight outside. If a burglar goes near your home at night, a bright light will automatically come on scaring them away.
Over 2 million homes are broken into each year in the United States. This usually happens during the summer months so every precaution you take reduces your risk of becoming a victim.
As late summer vacations are still being planned, burglars are waiting for homeowners to give them the perfect opportunity to rob their homes. Arming yourself with security home safety facts can help to keep you and your home safer.
Home Safety Checklist Before You Head Out on Vacation
- Make sure your valuables are put away and out of sight from windows.
- Double-check that the home monitoring system and video cameras are working.
- Set the thermostat to away mode.
- Turn off the home’s main water valve so that you don’t have to worry about any possible leaks.
- Unplug appliances and devices such as the toaster, blender, computer, and Wi-Fi router.
- Throw out refrigerated food that may go bad.
- Put a hold on your mail if no one will be able to stop by to pick it up daily.
- Leave a key with a friend (not under the door mat) for emergencies.
- Put the lights on a timer so that they turn on and off throughout the day and night.
- Give your home a thorough cleaning so that you can return to a fresh house.
- Don’t forget to arrange care for your plants if need be.
Typical homeowner’s insurance in Louisiana offers coverage for damages caused by fire, theft, and more. Our team at TSL Insurance Group can help you find the right policy for personal or commercial needs to make sure you receive the bests coverage possible, even home safety while you are away.
We have three locations in Lafayette, Franklin, and Abbeville to better serve Louisiana with a variety of insurance policy options for automobiles, homes, businesses, and more. Get a free quote by contacting our office in Lafayette at 337-262-0511, Franklin at 337-828-0580, or Abbeville at 337-893-2883.
We are a one-stop shop insurance agency with a top-notch team that will go above and beyond to make sure you receive and understand the different types of insurance policies available to you. Together you will find the policy that best fits your needs because we care about our clients.